|Tasty crackers, tasty hummous|
It came to my attention that I hardly ever make biscuits - let alone savoury ones. After a craving for beetroot, mackerel and horseradish, I thought about dips and things to dip them. Caraway 'thins' it was.
Adapted from a few recipes and research, I came up with a flour blend and a few spices.
125g wholewheat flour
125g white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 Nigella seeds
4 tblsp Olive oil
100ml cold water
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour in the oil and stir with a butter knife
- Add in half the waterand continue to mix with the knife, add a little more until a ball starts to form. Not too much though.
- Scrunch together with your hands, lightly knead, wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge.
-Set the oven to gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with paper.
- cut the dough in half, working with one and placing the other back in the fridge.
- Roll the dough out to 1mmthick (easiest between 2 sheets of clingfilm).
- Prick with a fork and then slice in to long rectangles. Bake for 18 mins until just browning at the edges.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Dip in to beetroot hummous and mackerel pate. Eat. Enjoy!